The Bible Church is an independent and evangelical Church founded in January 1958. It was known then as The Sunday Bible School (SBS). The pioneers were a group of young people to whom God had given the vision of local Christians meeting to study and teach the Word of God and reaching locals with the Gospel.
They received much help and encouragement from a missionary couple, Mr and Mrs Paul Contento. The group met regularly to study the Word of God, pray and conduct Communion services and Baptism. In 1964. the SBS leaders formally established the group into a local church and SBS was renamed The Bible Church, Singapore.
At first, the Church met in borrowed premises at schools, other churches and lecture halls. Later, in the early 1970s, houses were bought in Soo Chow Gardens, Ming Teck Park and Jalan Mas Puteh to use as house churches, in addition to a central city church based at Scripture Union and Bible House. A fifth centre was started at the rented premise of Ebenezer Church.
When the Government stopped the use of houses for worship meetings, the search for land to build a church intensified. In 1982, we jointly tendered with Mount Carmel B-P Church for this piece of land where the present building stands. The move to Clementi brought to an end those nomadic years when we met in venues all over the island. We believe that the significant giving from dedicated members, the godly leadership of the Church Council and the bountiful grace and provision of our Heavenly Father have enabled The Bible Church to set up home in Clementi Bible Centre.